St James’ Church News & Events
In 1211, during the reign of King John, Walter de Turberville gave the manor of Ansty to the Knights Hospitaller of the Order of St John of Jerusalem.
The Knights settled in Ansty, formed a small Commandery and, with a group of local helpers, began to build the present church.
The church was completed in 1230 and dedicated to St James.
A booklet is available in the church for those who would like to have a more detailed history of the church and Ansty.
St James, Ansty is now part of the South Area of the Nadder Valley Team Ministry.
Team Rector: The Rev’d. Dr. Graham Southgate (01722 870312)
Churchwarden: Mrs. Lesley Simm (01747 873068)
Verger: Mr. John Oldfield (01747 871119)
Church services are held regularly every Sunday at 11.15 am. When there are five Sundays in the month, a service of Holy Communion is held in one of the South Area churches.
The monthly pattern of services is as follows:
1st Sunday Matins (Lay led said service)
2nd Sunday Parish Communion (Common Worship with Hymns)
3rd Sunday Parish Communion (Common Worship with Hymns)
4th Sunday All-Age Communion (with hymns)
Evening Prayer is said in the church every Monday at 5.30 pm.
Dates (2020) for your calendar:
- Church open for private prayer on Sundays 10 am – 5 pm only – as from June 21st 2020.
- 02-08-2020 Trinity 8. 11-15 am Matins (Lay)
- 09-08-2020 Trinity 9. 11.15 am Parish Communion (GS)
- 16-08-2020 Trinity 10.11.15 am Parish Communion (GS)
- 23-08-2020 Trinity 11. 11.15 am All-Age Communion (GS)
- 30-08-2020 Trinity 12. No Service (The Ansty congregation are invited to attend Parish Communion at 9.30 am in Sutton Mandeville Church)
Anne Moorse and Sarah Gwinner.
Sarah’s funeral took place on Thursday July 16th. Click here for our tribute.
Thus far there are no plans regarding the late Anne Moorse’s thanksgiving yet.
St James’ Church and grounds are open during the day for private prayer, or to just sit to enjoy the peace and tranquillity of this ancient place: please observe social distancing.